WHO WE ARE
Friends of the Earth Cyprus is a non-profit, non-governmental, environmental organization, based in Limassol. The organization was established in 1980 and since then has campaigned on a number of local, national and international environmental issues.
Our goal is to raise awareness on the importance of preserving the natural environment and to campaign for solutions to environmental and social problems by promoting sustainable policies. Friends of the Earth Cyprus is a member group of Friends of the Earth Europe andFriends of the Earth International. We are also a member of the Federation of Environmental Organizations of Cyprus (NGO’s) and the European Environmental Bureau (EEB). Currently we have approximately 400 members in the whole of Cyprus. Also, the section Young Friends of the Earth Cyprus, exists that is a group of young people concerned about their future and campaigning actively for it.
Friends of the Earth Cyprus is governed by their Articles of Association and their bylaws and operates under the laws of the Republic of Cyprus. The Annual General Meeting of the members elects the Administrative Council of the organization, which consists of the Chairperson, the Secretary, the Treasurer and five members.
YOUNG FRIENDS OF THE EARTH
This will be a society built upon peoples’ sovereignty and participation. It will be founded on social, economic, gender and environmental justice and free from all forms of domination and exploitation, such as neoliberalism, corporate globalization, neo-colonialism and militarism
- to halt and reverse environmental degradation and depletion of natural resources, nurture the Earth’s ecological and cultural diversity, and secure sustainable livelihoods
- to secure the empowerment of indigenous peoples, local communities, women, groups and individuals, and to ensure public participation in decision-making
- to bring about transformation towards sustainability and equity between and within societies with creative approaches and solutions
- to engage in vibrant campaigns, raise awareness, mobilize people and build alliances with diverse movements, linking grassroots, national and global struggles
- to inspire one another and to harness, strengthen and complement each other’s capacities, living the change we wish to see and working together in solidarity
- Ecological and cultural diversity
- Peoples’ sovereignty and human rights
- Environmental, social, economic justice and gender equity
- The intrinsic value of nature and the inextricable link between nature and people
- Participatory democracy and other forms of participatory decision making processes
- Solidarity, responsibility and human dignity
Be our hands for environmental protection
We have accomplished a lot, and we can achieve more! Our successes are also based on your contributions.
Through any Bank:
Bank Account Number: 357016046499
Account Name: Friends of the Earth (Cyprus)
Online Banking: IBAN: CY 3000 200 195 0000 3570 1604 6499
BIC/SWIFT code: BCYPCY2N,
Bank Name: Bank of Cyprus